What is National Dog Day?
National Dog Day is a day specially dedicated to these lovely pets. In this generation full of gadgets and machines, people feel lonely and isolated quickly. At that time, your pet dog can become your best friend through life's struggles.
And the purpose of celebrating National Dog Day is to encourage people to adopt more dogs who are living their life in a shelter. So, spend a day playing with your dog to give him more love.
National Dog Day Quick Overview
- Time/Date: August 26
- Category: Animal
- Where It’s Marked? Globally
- Why It’s Marked? To raise awareness about adopting dogs and promote ownership of all breeds, pure and mixed.
History of National Dog Day
The history of National Dog Day can be traced to two decades earlier. However, people have adopted pets for less than 150 years in America. And in 1869, the Women’s SPCA of Pennsylvania formed the first animal shelter to end animal cruelty, eventually leading to awareness about adopting dogs.
But there wasn't any specific day separated for celebrating the most excellent companionship dogs offer humans. Furthermore, the number of adopting dogs from the shelter is dissatisfying as there are still many more dogs waiting at the adoption center to get home.
To promote the thought of dogs of all breeds and protest cruelty against them, Collen Paige proposed observing National Dog Day.
Collen Paige was the one who established National Pet Day as well.
In 2004, Collen, the Pet Lifestyle Expert, created National Dog Day to celebrate the companionship of our furry friends. And guess what! Collen chose this day because a 10-year-old dog, Sheltie, came into her life on August 26.
The purpose of celebrating National Dog Day
National Dog Day, or NDD, helps celebrate every dog's selfless act in our society. Whether it be a home dog, guard dog, or dog that works with police to find suspicious stuff or a bomb squad, NDD honors every dog.
Colleen’s organization also informs people about how many dogs have found a new home and how many are still in need of one. Many dogs help blind or disabled person company and support and stay on guard for their owner.
To save these animals who have done so much for us since the beginning, we can at least spend one-day rescuing stray dogs or helping at any shelter.
How to Celebrate National Dog Day
Collen’s dream of celebrating National Dog day to spread love and care for dogs is getting recognized worldwide. Although the day was centered in the USA initially, its popularity is rising and is expected to continue.
Therefore, make sure you spend this day celebrating how amazing dogs are through any of the following activities.
- You can find the nearest dog or pet shelter where you can work as a volunteer for National Dog day.
- Helping out the dog rescue home, feeding them, and spending time with them to give them lots of love could be the best day of your life.
- Adopt a dog on this Dog Day. Doing so will encourage your friends and relatives to think about having one in their homes.
- Walk your pet dog at his favorite park, take him to his other dog buddies and watch him play.
- Buy a new puzzle at home to train your dog and have fun.
Countries that Observe National Dog Day
Many countries around the world observed observe now. However, some other countries have different festivals other than NDD.
For example, Nepal celebrates Kuku Tihar in October.
And in China, celebrating the dog's birthday is a part of celebrating the Chinese New Year.
Interesting Facts about National Dog Day
You may own a dog, but how much do you know about your precious pet? Continue reading to learn some exciting facts about NDD.
- There are 339 breeds of dogs existing in the world.
- The rarest dogs are Norwegian Lundehund, Lagotto Romagnolo, Azawakh, Otterhound, and Mudi.
- In the song “A Day in the Life” by the Beatles, the ultrasonic whistle at the end is made for dogs. Only they can hear the whistle.
- Dogs have 10,000-100,000 times more intense smelling power than humans.
- Petting your dog can lower high blood pressure and reduce stress.
- In China, people born under the sign of a Dog are believed to be loyal to their dearest person.
- Around 75 million pet dogs live in American households.
Unique National Dog Day Celebration Ideas
Do you know how much your dog loves you? Without any doubt, your dog loves you more than you do. So, why not arrange something special for your buddy? Here are some ideas:
- Take your dog to have ice cream. There are ice cream treats for pet dogs in their cafe or restaurants. Find out about such cafes and go for a date with your best friend.
- Watch movies that have a dog character. And guess what? Some dog owners say their pups love watching their dogs on the screen. You can watch Eight Below. All Dogs Go to Heaven, Beethoven, Air Bud, Homeward Bound, Old Yeller
- Dogs love to play and learn new tricks. Buy a basket full of new toys and start playing with them on the next NDD.
- Cook something that both you and your dog can share. For example, Boiled chicken with brown rice, beef with spinach, or Salmon and green beans.
National Dog Day Quotes
Are you wondering what to write on the social media post this National Dog Day? Why not post a great quote? Read on to have one.
“The only creatures that are evolved enough to convey pure love are dogs and infants.”- Johnny Depp
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out, and your dog would go in.”- Mark Twain
“Everything I know I learned from dogs.”- Nora Roberts
“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”- Roger Caras
“The better I get to know men, the more I find myself loving dogs.”- Charles De Gaulle
“Every dog must have his day.”- Jonathan Swift
1. Is it National Dog Day in Canada?
National Dog Day in Canada will be celebrated on August 26.
2. Is March 23 National Dog Day?
No, March 23 is celebrated as National puppy day.
3. What can I mix with my dog's food every day?
You must add nutritious food items, such as eggs, meats, fish, yogurt, or cottage cheese.
National Dog Day Observances
|2021||Thursday||26 August||National Dog Day|
|2022||Friday||26 August||National Dog Day|
|2023||Saturday||26 August||National Dog Day|
|2024||Monday||26 August||National Dog Day|
|2025||Tuesday||26 August||National Dog Day|
|2026||Wednesday||26 August||National Dog Day|
We constantly update the dates of holidays that keep changing every year. However, while we revise and change some dates to be accurate, if you find any errors, kindly inform us . That will mean a lot to us.