What is World Mother's Day?
Recognizing and celebrating World Mother's Day honors mothers' contributions to our life and society. Mother's Day allows us to pause and express gratitude to those women who took the commitment to raise the future of the world.
Every year in May, the second Sunday is marked as the day for mother.
World Mother's Day All Quick Overview
- Time/Date: 8th May
- Category: Relationship
- Where It’s Marked? Worldwide
- Why It’s Marked? Mother's Day is a holiday observed worldwide to show mothers that we appreciate, honor, and love them.
History of World Mother's Day
Even before people started celebrating Mother’s Day, there were traditions to visit mother and spend a few days with her in the Middle ages. These short visits of young adults to their mother who lives far away started to get famous on Mothering Sunday.
The visits were related to the religious festival of Christians, Lent, and didn't hold significant value as a Mother’s Day.
Paying tribute to moms for a whole day and observing a day only for mothers was the brainchild of Anna Jarvis. She used to live in Philadelphia with her mother. Her mother was a generous woman and worked all her life to spread awareness about good health and friendship.
After her death, Anna decided to arrange a memorial service on the 12th of May 1907 in a small church situated in Grafton, a town in West Virginia. She started organizing the memorial event every year and promoted the significance of having at least one day of the year for Mother.
Soon, the neighboring states acknowledged her proposal and started celebrating the day. Finally, President Woodrow Wilson signed the act to officially observe Mother's Day all over the United States.
However, Anna could not feel satisfied with the proclamation in later days. The card and candy-making companies started making Mother’s Day unique cards and candies and earning huge profits by commercializing the meaning behind observing the day.
Anna's point of view of Mother's Day was that every family would significantly pay respect and show love by writing letters or doing something unique only for her. It is why it is called Mother's Day, not Mother's Day.
Unfortunately, her protests were not strong enough to stop companies from making more cards and earning profit.
How to Celebrate World Mother's Day?
We are already busy all day long in the fast-paced world around us. Moreover, we barely have time for ourselves; how can we manage a day for our mother?
You must have similar thoughts every year Mother’s Day comes up. Well, a mother will never ask you to arrange a grand party or buy her expensive gifts. All you need to do is to spend a couple of hours noticing what she is doing in her everyday life and what makes her the happiest.
Continue reading to explore some mind-blowing activities to celebrate the following Mother’s Day with your mom.
- Being lazy must be the only thing your mother hated about you. So, why not become her helping hand for a day and every day? Do simple groceries, and help her with the household chores. You may observe how amazingly she has been adopting the role of being a homemaker.
- Find out your mom’s hobbies or interests. If she loves gardening, buy her gardening tools or visit a garden to buy her favorite plants. And if your mother loves driving, you can hire her dream car for a day and accompany her on a long drive.
- Learn a new skill together. On Mother's Day, you can surprise your mother with a new course you will complete together. It can be pottery, swimming, cooking, yoga or meditation, or painting.
- Who doesn’t love decoring the house? Your mother may have an interest in it too! So, take her to the nearest home decor shop and help her decorate her room the way she wants.
- It would be nice to give your mother a break from the daily household chores. Book hotels for her dream destination and send her off to have a sweet vacation! Your father can also be a part of it if your mamma gives permission.
Countries that observe World Mother’s Day
Denmark, India, Bangladesh, Switzerland, the United States, Australia, Finland, Belgium, and Italy celebrated World Mother’s Day.
Interesting facts about World Mother's Day
Looking for interesting facts to share about Mother’s Day? Continue scrolling:
- Even before Anna Jarvis, Julia Ward Howe was the one who proposed to observe Mother’s Day in 1872.
- Anna founded Mother’s Day International Association.
- Around 122.5 million calls are made on Mother's Day, the busiest day for making phone calls.
- In Thailand, people celebrate Mother’s Day on the 12th of August. It is their current queen’s birthday.
- This day is listed in the third position for selling the highest number of flowers and plants.
- The trace of celebrating motherhood can be found in ancient Greek history. They used to worship the Goddess Rhea for motherhood and fertility.
- People spent more than $23 billion buying a present for their mothers on Mother’s Day in 2018.
- Among $2.2 billion mothers worldwide, 85 million live in the United States.
Unique World Mother's Day Celebration Ideas
Whenever you look for a present for your mother, you want to buy her something unique. And a personalized gift idea can be a perfect choice to hold the significance of this day. Here are some accessories you can personalize for her.
- Customize a charm necklace or bracelet with lettering
- Curate a flower vase
- Engrave ‘World’s Best Mom’ in a leather makeup bag
- Personalize a photo calendar with pictures of you and your mother
- Order a Journal with a handmade leather cover with her name
- Buy her customized water bottle or Nike shoes for everyday exercise
World Mother's Day Quotes
Wondering what to write on the Mother’s Day note? Pick a quote from the list below:
“My mother is my root, my foundation. She planted the seed that I base my life on, which is the belief that the ability to achieve starts in your mind.”- Micheal Jordan
“Acceptance, tolerance, bravery, compassion. These are the things my mom taught me.”- Lady Gaga
“Any mother could perform the jobs of several air-traffic controllers easily.”- Lisa Alther
"In the mother's eyes, her smile, her stroking touch, the child reads the message: 'You are there!' ''- Adrienne Rich
“My mother is a walking miracle.”- Leonardo DiCaprio
“Youth fade; love droops; the leaves of friendship fall; A mother’s secret hope outlives them all.”- Oliver Wendell Holmes
1.Why are UK and US Mother’s Day different?
In the UK, Mother’s Day is celebrated three weeks before Easter, and in the USA, the day is celebrated on the second Sunday of May.
2. Does Father’s Day change?
Yes, it does change every year. But fall either on 18 or 19 June.
3. What color flower do you wear if your mother is deceased?
You need to wear a white carnation. Otherwise, you can wear pink or red carnations to
Mother's Day Observances
|2021||Sunday||09 May||Mother's Day|
|2022||Sunday||08 May||Mother's Day|
|2023||Sunday||14 May||Mother's Day|
|2024||Sunday||12 May||Mother's Day|
|2025||Sunday||11 May||Mother's Day|
|2026||Sunday||10 May||Mother's Day|
We constantly update the dates of holidays that keep changing every year. However, while we revise and change some dates to be accurate, if you find any errors, kindly inform us . That will mean a lot to us.